StatCounter

Thursday, September 24, 2026

"The Eight Stages of Civilizational Collapse"

"The Eight Stages of Civilizational Collapse"
by John Walter

"Excerpt: I’ve been watching things fall apart for a while now. Not in a dramatic way, not with explosions or sudden catastrophes, but in that slow, grinding manner that characterizes how societies actually end. You read about the Maya abandoning their cities, or Rome’s legions becoming unable to defend the borders they’d once patrolled with ease, and you imagine some singular moment of realization. But that’s not how it happens. It happens in increments so small that people living through them can always tell themselves it’s temporary, it’s cyclical, it’s going to turn around.

Still, after enough years of reading the data - wealth concentration figures, climate reports, debt statistics, biodiversity indices - you start to see a shape emerging. Not prophecy, just pattern recognition. Civilizations that collapsed in the past didn’t do so randomly. They moved through recognizable stages, and those stages tend to share common features regardless of whether you’re looking at Bronze Age Mesopotamia or twentieth-century industrial powers.

What follows is my attempt to map those stages as I see them operating now. I’m not claiming expertise I don’t have. I’m just someone who’s spent too many evenings comparing archaeological studies with contemporary news reports and finding the parallels impossible to ignore. Eight stages seem to capture the trajectory that historical societies followed on their way to transformation - transformation being the polite word for collapse, though collapse itself is just another kind of transformation, one that tends to be harder on the people living through it.

Below, I’ll walk through each stage. By the end, you’ll have a sense of where I think we are in this process - and more importantly, what the road ahead tends to look like for societies that have traveled it before."
Full, most highly recommended article is here:

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand."
- Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment