Monday, May 9, 2022

"Four on the Floor (After Faulkner)" Excerpt

"Four on the Floor (After Faulkner)"
by Generally Risk Thoughts

Excerpt: "I’m writin this here note awaitin the arrival of my fourth grandson. And I wouldn’t a reckoned on that. Four grandsons! God oh mighty! The still to be named little Feller (yup, his surname is indeed Feller – owing, so I’m told, to some of his forebears bein’ in the business of fellin’ trees) should be droppin in any time now; almost certainly before any of y’all receive this note. Henceupon, I reckon I’ll fill y’all in on the good news as soon as it come to me.

Grandson #4 is all I’m likely to git. No granddaughters; no more grands of any kind. I’m not complainin, though. Some (I hear tell) never git no grands at all.

Lord knows, he’ll be entering the proceedins at an interesting pass, with less visibility into the future than his two oldest brothers – born, respectively, in 2015 and 2017. The one right before him come two years ago this past Friday – on Cinco di Mayo ’20. When we was all in lockdown, with no notion of when they’d turn us loose.

I reckon them last two got something of this nature in common. Because there’s a passel of uncertainty at the moment. You might even call it LOCKDOWN level uncertainty. As one example (somewhat random and owing in part to a nasty round of Bird Flu makin’ its way across the land), the price of chickens is more than double the level that greeted any of his three older brothers: Chicken: Finger Lickin’ Expensive?

I reckon it don’t matter much for now. He’ll be on his mama’s milk for a few months, and then subsisting on that mush (now in terrifying short supply) that passes for infant food.

On the other hand, if current trends continue, by the time he’s ready to dig into The Colonel’s Original Recipe, it might not be economicly feasible for him to do so. His fokes, after all, have other expenses to consider, and may need to be a little parsimonious in dishing out them wings and thighs. They could, of course, take out a secondary mortgage for these luxury victuals. But I can’t hardly counsel that."
Please view this complete, highly entertaining and informative article here:

No comments:

Post a Comment