Thursday, January 21, 2021

"Maybe..."

"Maybe this is kind of cliche, but animals, well, dogs, are what I do for a living. One reason I like spending time with them so much is they seem to think people are really good. They live with us, and obey our rules, most of which make no sense to them. And the main reason they do it is because they like us. When I watch them, sometimes I'm so blown away by how enthusiastic they are about everything we do that I have to go out and buy them something squeaky or chewy, just because I love proving to them that it's not a mistake to see the world as a great benevolent place. I hope one day to react to something with as much pure ecstasy as I see in Chuck's face every time I throw the ball. Sometimes he looks so happy, it reminds me of the way blind people smile way too big because they can't see themselves. And if none of this links to anything in you, well, I think you don't know who I am. "
- Merrill Markoe
Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment