Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Poet: Charles Bukowski, "Mind and Heart"

"Mind and Heart"

"Unaccountably we are alone, forever alone,
and it was meant to be that way,
it was never meant to be any other way  
and when the death struggle begins
the last thing I wish to see
is a ring of human faces
hovering over me  
better just my old friends,
the walls of my self,
let only them be there.

I have been alone but seldom lonely.
I have satisfied my thirst
at the well of my self,
and that wine was good,
the best I ever had,
and tonight, sitting, staring into the dark,
I now finally understand the dark and the
light and everything in between.

Peace of mind and heart arrives
when we accept what is:
having been born into this strange life,
we must accept the wasted gamble of our days,
and take some satisfaction in
the pleasure of leaving it all behind.

Cry not for me.
Grieve not for me.
Read what I've written then forget it all.
Drink from the well of your self, and begin again."

- Charles Bukowski

No comments:

Post a Comment